Tempeh, Cauliflower, and Cashew Curry
Even those who aren’t quite sold on tempeh will be enticed by this delectable, veggie-filled curry. Adapted from Vegetariana.
Serves: 6 or more
- 2 tablespoons safflower or olive oil
- 8- to 10-ounce package tempeh, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, optional
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium-large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 heaping cups small cauliflower florets
- 14- to 15-ounce can diced tomatoes (try fire-roasted)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 to 2 fresh hot green chillies, seeded and minced,
or one 4-ounce can chopped mild chilies, optional
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted cashews
- Minced fresh cilantro
Heat half of the oil in a large skillet. Add the tempeh and sprinkle with the optional coriander. Sauté over medium-high heat until the tempeh is nicely browned on most sides, stirring frequently. Transfer the tempeh to a plate and set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in the same skillet. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is just starting to brown lightly.
Add the potatoes to the skillet along with 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer and cook gently until the potatoes are about half done, about 8 minutes.
Add the cauliflower, tomatoes, spices, and optional chilies. Return to a simmer, then cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender. Stir in the tempeh and season with salt.
Pass around cashews and cilantro for topping individual servings.
Variation: Substitute some broccoli for all or part of the cauliflower.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Tofu, Tempeh and Vegan Sausage Main Dishes.
- Here are more tempeh recipes.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *