Tempeh, Kale, and Sweet Potato Skillet
This supremely nourishing trio of ingredients are the basis of a quick, colorful, and comforting meal. It’s an adaptable dish, too—don’t like tempeh? Use tofu, seitan, or a can of chickpeas or white beans instead. It’s great with chard in place of kale, as well. Great served with any of theslaw recipes on this site. Adapted from Vegan Express.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- One 8-ounce package tempeh, any variety,
cut into 1/4-inch slices crosswise
- 1 good-sized bunch kale (about 8 to 12 ounces)
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- One 15- to 16-ounce salt-free diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons good-quality curry powder, or to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Thai red curry paste, dissolved in
a little warm water, or a sprinkling of
dried hot red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1/2 cup cashew pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Microwave the sweet potatoes until done but still nice and firm, allowing 2 to 3 minutes per potato.
Heat half of the oil together with the soy sauce in a stir-fry pan. Add the tempeh and stir quickly to coat. Sauté over medium heat until golden and beginning to turn crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove to a plate then set aside until needed.
Meanwhile, cut the leafy part of the kale away from the stem, then coarsely chop into bite-sized pieces. Rinse well.
Heat the remaining oil in the stir-fry pan. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat until golden.
Add the kale along with about 1/2 cup water, the tomatoes, curry powder, and optional curry paste. Cover and cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the kale is tender but still bright green.
Stir in the sweet potatoes, tempeh, and scallions and cook, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes longer. Stir in the cashews, season with salt and pepper and serve at once.
- Find lots more recipes on VegKitchen for kale, collards, and other hardy greens.
- Enjoy more of VegKitchen’s sweet potato recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Tofu, Tempeh and Vegan Sausage Main Dishes.
- Here are more tempeh recipes.