Tofu Vegetable Soup with Bean-Thread Noodles
This Asian-style soup is ideal when you’re in a hurry. It can be on the table in about 20 minutes.
Serves: 4 to 6
- One 3- to 4-ounce package cellophane (bean-thread) noodles
- One 32-ounce carton low-sodium vegetable stock
- One cup or so snow peas, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/2 medium red or orange bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 to 6 ounces fresh baby spinach or arugula
- One 16-ounce tub firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh or jarred ginger
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a heatproof container, combine the cellophane noodles with enough hot water to cover. Let stand, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until al dente. Drain well, then place on a cutting board and chop in several directions to shorten the noodles.
Meanwhile, combine the stock with 2 cups water in a soup pot. Bring to a simmer, then add the remaining ingredients and cook briefly, just until the spinach is wilted and the soup is well heated through.
Remove from the heat, stir in the noodles, and season with soy sauce and pepper. Serve at once.Print This Post