Tomato Chickpea Soup with Tiny Pasta and Fresh Herbs
Chickpeas and miniature pasta shapes in a richly flavored tomato broth add up to a soup that comes together in no time, yet tastes as if it has been simmered for hours.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup tiny pasta such as ditalini, tiny bows, or mini shells,
preferably whole grain (GF varieties are available, too)
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 15- to 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt-free seasoning blend, such as Frontier
or Mrs. Dash
- 1/4 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes, optional
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sliced basil leaves, as desired
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat until golden.
Add 4 cups water. Bring to a rapid simmer, then stir in the pasta. Cook until just al dente.
Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, paprika, seasoning blend, and optional sun-dried tomatoes. Return to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 8 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients. If the soup is too dense, add a cup or so of water. Bring to a simmer once again, then remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper, then serve.
Per serving: 180 calories; 8g fat; 210mg sodium; 24g carbs; 7g fiber; 5g protein
- Try some of VegKitchen’s other Soulful Soups.