Tortellini in a tomato-based broth makes for filling fare. Serve with a good store-bought focaccia bread and a tossed salad.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 16-ounce can tomato sauce
- 14- to 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon each: dried basil, oregano, and dill
- 8- to 10-ounce package ounce frozen vegan tortellini
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic, carrots, and celery, and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and 3 cups of the water. Stir in the seasonings and bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the tortellini according to package directions in a separate saucepan until al dente.
Stir the cooked tortellini into the soup and season with salt and pepper. Simmer gently for 2 to 3 minutes longer. Adjust the consistency with more water if necessary. Stir in the parsley and serve at once.
- Explore other recipes for hearty winter soups.