I buy two batches of broccoli almost every week. Most of the time I trim the stalks and turn them into tasty vegetable sticks, perfect for snacking or dipping; and occasionally I’ll use them to make this terrific slaw. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
- 2 large or 3 medium broccoli stalks, prepared as directed on page 000
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/4 small head red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives or 1 scallion, thinly sliced, optional
- 1/2 cup natural bottled or homemade dressing of your choice (see Note), or as needed to moisten
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Grate all the vegetables in a food processor using a coarse grating blade.
Combine the grated vegetables with the remaining ingredients in a serving container. Stir together, then season with salt and pepper. Let the salad stand for 10 to 15 minutes or so before serving.
Note: I especially like this with sesame-ginger or tahini-flavored dressings.
- Here are lots more creative and colorful slaw-style salads.
Print This Post