Lemon-Poppy Zing Cake
This is a lemon lover’s must-eat treat! This loaf cake is rich, moist, and refreshing and will surprise you with its tanginess. Recipe by Sharon Valencik from Sweet Utopia: Simply Stunning Vegan Desserts, by permission of The Book Publishing Company.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegan butter substitute, at room temperature
- 1 cup soymilk (or other nondairy milk)
- 2 tablespoons candied lemon peal (optional)
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
To make the cake, preheat the oven to 350ºF. and oil a 9-inch loaf pan.
Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In a separate large bowl, combine the sugar and vegan butter substitute and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
Stir in the soymilk, optional candied lemon peel, grated lemon peel, lemon juice, vinegar, and lemon extract with a wooden spoon. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack.
To make the glaze, combine the sugar and lemon juice in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at medium power for 45 seconds. Alternatively, heat the sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan on low heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the lemon peel. Remove the cooled cake from the pan and drizzle the glaze over it. Store covered at room temperature or in the refrigerator (for longer storage).
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Easy Vegan Cakes and Pies.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.