Ultra Fudgy Brownies
One of the gripes of many vegan bakers is that it’s too difficult to create brownies that are really fudgy instead of cakelike. Well, here they are: the ultimate fudgy brownies! The addition of pureed avocado creates a miracle of syn-
ergy with just 1/4 cup oil, resulting in one of the richest-tasting, fudgiest brownies I’ve ever had. From Sweet Freedom by Ricki Heller.
Makes: 9 or 12 squares
- 1/4 cup packed pureed avocado flesh
(about 1 small, ripe avocado)
- 1 cup Sucanet (or other unrefined evaporated cane juice)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sunflower or other light-tasting oil, preferably organic
- 1 tablespoon finely ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup plain, vanilla, or chocolate soy or almond milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee substitute or 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup light spelt flour
- 1/2 cup barley flour
- 3/4 cup dark cocoa powder (preferably not Dutch process)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray. In a medium bowl, combine the avocado puree and Sucanet; whisk to blend well.
Add the maple syrup, oil, flax, soymilk, vanilla, and coffee substitute and whisk well to dissolve the Sucanet and coffee substitute. Add the chocolate chips and stir gently just until they’re coated in the wet mixture. Set aside while you measure the dry ingredients, or at least 2 minutes.
In a large bowl, sift together the spelt flour, barley flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour the wet mixture over the dry and stir just to combine. The batter will be thick.
Turn the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Smooth the top. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the pan about halfway through, until the edges look dry, the middle begins to rise, and a tester inserted in the center comes out just barely clean (it may still be moist). Do not overbake! (Longer baking time will result in cake-like brownies.) Cool for at least 15 minutes, then refrigerate completely chilled in order to slice into squares. The brownies will firm up as they chill.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Easy Vegan Cakes and Pies.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.