Dried cranberries give these a biscotti a festive hue. They’re really not complicated to make, and the result is such fun!
Makes: About 2 dozen.
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup natural granulated sugar, granular fructose, or date sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated organic orange zest, optional
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate mini-chips, optional
Preheat the oven to 325º F.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. In another bowl, combine the applesauce oil, vanilla, and optional orange zest and stir together until well blended. Work the wet mixture into the dry, then add the cranberries and walnuts. Use a spoon at first, then floured hands, to form a stiff dough.
Transfer the dough to a floured board. Form into a ball, then divide into 2 equal parts. Shape each into a log about 8 inches long, then flatten the top slightly with the palm of your hand.
Place the logs on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes to cool.
With a sharp knife, use a sawing motion to cut the logs on a diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange these on the baking sheet and bake for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until the tops are golden. Cool on a rack, then store in an airtight container.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Cookies and Bars.