Crispy Rice and Almond Treats
Contributed by vegan chef Beverly Lynn Bennett, these rich, no-bake treats are incredibly good. I know, because I’ve made them for my sons a zillion times.
Yield: One 9-inch pan or 12 pieces
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup almond butter or other nut butter of choice (see note)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips or carob chips
- 1/3 cup grated coconut
- Safflower oil
In a large saucepan, place the brown rice syrup and almond butter and cook over low heat while stirring until creamy and small bubbles begin to appear. Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the vanilla, almond extract, and salt, and stir well to combine. Add the crispy rice cereal and stir well to coat the cereal thoroughly with the mixture. Add the remaining ingredients and fold gently to combine. Using a little safflower oil, lightly oil a 9 x 9-inch square pan. Pour the cereal mixture into the prepared pan. Wet your hands with a little water and press the mixture firmly into the pan. Chill for 30 minutes or more or until firm, and then cut into 12 pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Note: you can substitute other nut butters such as hazelnut, cashew, pistachio, or peanut to make these treats using the same procedure.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Cookies and Bars.
- Explore more of VegKItchen’s No-Bake and Raw Sweets.
Contributed by Beverly Lynn Bennett, from The Vegan Chef.Print This Post