Vegan Crunchy Peanut Butter Cookies
These flavorful vegan peanut butter cookies were a hit with the local surfers when I lived in Pacific Beach- they provide enough energy to ride the waves. Recipe by Sharon Valencik from Sweet Utopia: Simply Stunning Vegan Desserts, by permission of The Book Publishing Company.
Makes about 30 cookies
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter substitute, slightly softened but not at room temperature
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (increase to 1/3 cup if using natural peanut butter)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose four
- 1/2 cup nondairy chocolate chips (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and oil 3 baking sheets. Combine the peanut butter, vegan butter substitute, maple syrup, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the flour and stir until well combined. Stir in the optional chocolate chips.
Form the dough into 1 1/2 to 2-inch balls and arrange them on the prepared baking sheets about 3 inches apart. Use a fork to flatten each cookie and make a crosshatch design, if desired. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Cool on racks. Store in a sealed container.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Cookies and Bars.