Lemony Blueberry Muffins
Makes: one dozen
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or light spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ or ground flaxseeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1 cup vanilla nondairy yogurt (soy or coconut) or applesauce
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1/3 cup plain or vanilla rice milk or almond milk, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest, optional but highly recommended
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (or thawed frozen blueberries, well drained)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or sliced almonds, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the first 5 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the yogurt, oil, enough rice milk to make a smooth, stiff batter, and the lemon juice and optional zest. Stir together just until thoroughly combined.
Stir in the blueberries, then divide the batter among 12 foil-lined muffin tins. Sprinkle the optional walnuts or almonds evenly over the tops of the muffins.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins are golden and a knife inserted into the center of one tests clean. When cool enough to handle, transfer the muffins to a plate or rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Find lots more muffin recipes in Muffin Mania.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
5 comments on “Lemony Blueberry Muffins”
Pingback: Seasonal Eating: A Bounty of Blueberries | One Green Planet