Yummy apple flax muffins
These muffins are so moist and good (and they’re good for you, too). Recipe from The Double Energy Dietby Judi and Shari Zucker.
Makes 16 muffins
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 3 green apples (Pippin or Granny Smith), peeled and shredded
- 3/4 cup dairy or nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup liquid sweetener of your choice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached pastry flour
- 3/4 cup oat bran
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup raisins
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the water in a medium bowl, stir in the 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal, and let sit for 5 minutes. Place 16 fluted muffin liners in 2 muffin tins.
Add the shredded apples, milk, sweetener, and vanilla to the flaxseed mixture and stir to blend.
Place the flour, remaining 3/4 cup flaxseed meal, oat bran, cinnamon, and baking powder in a large bowl, and whisk to combine. Add the milk mixture and stir with a spoon until blended, then add the raisins and stir to combine.
Fill the prepared muffin cups 3/4 full and bake for 15 to 20 minuets, or until a paring knife inserted in a muffin has moist crumbs clinging to it. (We like our muffins moist, so we bake them for the shorter amount of time.) Let the muffins cool briefly in the tins, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Reprinted by permission of The Book Publishing Company.
- Find lots more muffin recipes in Muffin Mania.
- Explore VegKitchen’s vegan breakfast recipes.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
Print This Post