- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup applesauce or nondairy yogurt
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 to 4 tablespoons rice milk or other nondairy milk
- 1 cup firmly packed grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the first 6 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the applesauce and oil. Stir together until nearly combined, then add enough rice milk to make a smooth, stiff batter. Stir in the zucchini, raisins, and optional walnuts.
Divide the batter between 12 muffin tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a small knife inserted in the center of a muffin tests clean. Cool on a rack. Wrap well in plastic wrap to send in a lunch box.