Vegan “Elvis” Sandwich
Recently, someone I know told me that she’d eaten a vegan “Elvis” sandwich in a New York City eatery. Curious, I learned that Elvis Presley’s favorite sandwich was grilled peanut butter, banana, and bacon. It sounds a bit odd, but the combination is curiously good in its vegan rendition. The biggest modification is that smoky tempeh takes the place of bacon; natural, organic peanut butter and whole grain bread make it healthier. It’s a bit intense, but for active people or hungry teens, this could be a big hit. Multiply the ingredients given here for more sandwiches. It makes a great school lunch.
Makes: 1 sandwich
- Earth Balance or olive oil cooking spray
- 4 slices seasoned tempeh strips, homemade or prepared
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- Natural peanut butter (crunchy or smooth, as desired) as needed
- About 1/2 medium banana, thinly sliced
Heat just enough Earth Balance or cooking oil spray in a small skillet. Cook the vegan bacon on both sides over medium heat until lightly browned and crisp.
Meanwhile, spread the peanut butter on both slices of bread. Top one of them with banana slices, then with the cooked bacon. Cover with the other slice of bread.
Grill the sandwich in the heated skillet on both sides over medium heat until the bread is golden brown. Serve at once.
- Here are more recipes for vegan sandwiches and wraps.