Vegan Nachos with Chile con Queso
A southwestern appetizer that’s become popular everywhere, this is an enticingly rich dish of melted cheese and chiles enveloping crisp tortilla wedges. Though customarily made with jalapeños, you can substitute mild green chiles if you prefer a tamer flavor. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Serves: 8 or more as an appetizer
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unbleached white flour
- 1/4 cup plain unsweetened nondairy milk
- 8 ounces grated cheddar-style nondairy cheese
- A platter-full of tortilla chips (your favorite kind)
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, to taste, seeded and thinly sliced,
or one 4-ounce can chopped mild green chiles
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over low heat until golden.
Add the chopped tomato and cook for a minute or so, just until the tomato softens. Sprinkle in the flour until well blended, then stir in the rice milk.
Add the cheese and cook, stirring, until it is smoothly melted. Remove from the heat.
Spread the tortilla wedges on a large serving platter. Pour the cheese sauce over them, sprinkle the jalapeños or chiles over the surface, and serve at once.
- Here are more tasty vegan appetizers.