Vegan Onion and Olive Pizza
This deliciously offbeat onion and olive pizza features mellow caramelized onions, with briny olives for a contrasting flavor. For a simple meal, serve with a salad of mixed greens, cannellini or chickpeas, and ripe tomatoes. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Makes 6 slices
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 large white or yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 to 6 ounces grated nondairy cheese, variety of your choice
- 12-inch good-quality prepared pizza crust
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives, preferably cured (such as Kalamata)
- Dried thyme or oregano
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and sauté slowly, covered, until translucent. Uncover, add the garlic, and continue to sauté until they are nicely golden (but not browned), stirring often.
Sprinkle the cheese evenly the pizza crust, followed by over the onions and olives. Finish with a sprinkling of thyme or oregano.
Bake in a preheated 425 degree F. oven for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the crust is golden.
Remove from the oven, and allow to sit for 2 to 3 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.