Vegetable Lo Mein
Vegetable Lo Mein is a fun Chinese restaurant-style dish to recreate at home, and has the advantage of being far less oily than its take-out counterpart. For an easy meal, erve with a simple tofu or tempeh dish and a salad of greens, tomatoes, carrots, and peppers dressed in sesame-ginger salad dressing. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 8 ounces whole-grain udon noodles or soba noodles
- 2 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half,
or frozen organic green beans
- 8-ounce bag preshredded coleslaw
or 1/2 small head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 15-ounce can cut baby corn, drained, liquid reserved
- 3 to 4 scallions, cut into 1-inch-long segments
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- Natural reduced-sodium soy sauce to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sriracha sauce or dried hot red pepper flakes, optional
- Sesame seeds for garnish, optional
Cook the noodles in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Meanwhile, layer the coleslaw or cabbage and green beans in a wide skillet or stir-fry pan, and pour 1/4 cup of the liquid from the baby corn over them. Cover and steam for 5 minutes.
Add the baby corn and scallions and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are just tender-crisp, about 5 minutes longer.. Add small amounts of additional liquid from the baby corn to keep the bottom of the pan moist if need be.
Combine the cooked noodles with the vegetables in the pan and toss together.
Stir in the sesame oil, then season with soy sauce and grind in pepper to taste. Add some hot stuff if you’d like this to be a spicier dish. Serve at once, passing around sesame seeds for individual servings.
Variations: You can easily substitute other veggies for the ones suggested here. Broccoli instead of green beans; organic corn kernels instead of baby corn (use broth or water in place of the liquid from the can); add some carrot strips and other herbs like basil or cilantro.
6 Responses to “Vegetable Lo Mein”
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *