Beet, Cucumber, and Orange Salad
I’m very fond of beets and am always happy to devise new and different ways of preparing them. They’re wonderful combined with the crunch of cucumber and the sweetness of citrus.
- 4 to 5 medium fresh beets, rinsed, trimmed,
and cooked or microwaved until just tender
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, and sliced
- 2 small sweet seedless oranges, such as small clementines, sectioned
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon horseradish, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Peel the cooked beets, then quarter them and slice them about 1/8 inch thick. Combine them in a mixing bowl with the cucumber, orange, and herbs.
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, maple syrup or agave nectar, and horseradish and mix well. Pour over the beet mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at once or cover and chill before serving.
Explore more of VegKitchen’s:
- Super Savory Salads
- recipes for beets
- Return to Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashanah) recipes and menus.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.