Sautéed Carrots with Dried Fruits
Here’s a tasty way to highlight carrots in a lightly cooked side dish. Their natural sweetness is enhanced with chopped dried fruit and balanced with a bit of lemon.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sliced or chopped dried fruit (apricots,
mission figs, or prunes, or a combination)
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parley
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Toasted slivered almonds for topping, optional
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent.
Add the carrots and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, except the optional almonds, and sauté for just until the carrots are tender-crisp. Add drops of water if the skillet gets dry as the carrots cook.
Transfer to a serving container or serve straight from the skillet, scattering toasted almonds over the top if desired.