Cauliflower and Avocado Salad
This salad is delectable addition to any meal, but particularly ones with a Southwestern theme.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 medium-small head cauliflower
- 1 large firm ripe avocado, diced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 medium red bell pepper,
cut into narrow, 2-inch strips
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Tomato wedges for garnish
Break the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces and florets. Steam until tender-crisp and refresh immediately under cold water to stop the steaming. Allow the cauliflower to drain for a few minutes in a colander.
In a serving bowl, combine the diced avocado and lemon juice and toss gently. Add the cauliflower, red pepper strips, and scallions.
Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir together until well blended. Pour over the cauliflower and avocado mixture and toss gently. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour before serving. Stir once or twice during that time to distribute the dressing.