Cold Asparagus in Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1 to 1 l/4 pounds slender asparagus
- 1 recipe Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette
- 2 medium firm, ripe tomatoes or 3 Roma (plum) tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Boston or red-leaf lettuce, or mixed baby greens
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds, optional
Trim about an inch from the ends from the asparagus. If the asparagus is very young and tender, you need not scrape the stalks, but otherwise, scrape the bottom half of the stalks.
Cut the asparagus stalks in half and place in a skillet with just enough water to cover the bottom. Steam just until bright green and tender-crisp. Rinse immediately under cool water and drain well.
Place the asparagus in a shallow container and cover with Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette. Allow to marinate for an hour, then drain off most of the vinaigrette, returning it to its container for reuse.
Toss the asparagus with the tomatoes and dill in a mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. To arrange, line four plates with lettuce leaves. Divide the asparagus mixture among them. Top with the optional nuts and serve, passing around the vinaigrette to those who’d like more.Print This Post