Curried Spinach and Chickpea Soup with Fine Noodles
Inspired by the classic compatibility of spinach and chickpeas, this soup is not traditional, but rather an offbeat concoction. The aroma that will permeate your kitchen as this cooks is most enticing.
Serves: 6, or more
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups water
- 1 14- to 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons good-quality curry powder
- Pinch each: ground nutmeg, cinnamon, and coriander
- 2 cups short fine egg noodles, preferably yolk-free
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery and sauté over medium heat until all are golden.
Add the water, tomatoes, and spices and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes. Add the noodles and simmer for 5 minutes, or until they are al dente.
Stir the spinach and chickpeas into the soup and continue to simmer over very low heat for 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper and serve.Print This Post