Roasted Eggplant Salad with Artichoke Hearts
This salad complements mild tomato-based pasta dishes as well as most any kind of grain or bean dish, with the smoky, mellow flavor of roasted eggplant.
Serves: 4 to 6 as a side dish
- 1 large eggplant (1 to 1 1/2 pounds)
- 12-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, with liquid, chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into short narrow strips
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Green or red leaf lettuce, mixed baby greens, or baby arugula, as needed
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Place the eggplant on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes, or until it has collapsed. Remove from the oven.
When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, cut the pulp away from the peel. Discard the peel and finely chop the pulp. Combine in a serving bowl with the chopped artichoke hearts and their liquid, along with the remaining ingredients except the lettuce. Toss well.
To serve, line individual plates with greens and spoon some of the salad over them.