Eggplant with Morel Mushrooms and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
I love this stew as a side dish, pizza or pasta topping. Recipe from Taste Life! Organic Recipes* (2002) by Leslie Cerier. Reprinted by permission of Square One Publishers.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 medium-large eggplant, 6 cups, sliced into bite sized chunks
(cut into 1″ rounds and then slice into 4-6 bite size pieces)
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 dried morel mushrooms
(use other dried mushrooms if morels are unavailable)
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and whole
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 sprig rosemary (1 teaspoon fresh leaves
or 1/2 teaspoon dry)
- 2 heaping tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
or 2 teaspoons dried
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the eggplant and put it into a bowl with 1 teaspoon sea salt and the lemon juice. Let it marinate at least 30 minutes while you slice the other vegetables.
Drain and discard the excess liquid from the eggplant. Put the eggplant and all the other ingredients into a large mixing bowl, including the other teaspoon of sea salt. Mix well and transfer to a baking dish or crock. Make sure that the dried mushrooms, and tomatoes are covered by the other vegetables. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
Taste the vegetables to see if they are as tender as you like them, and adjust the seasonings if desired.
- Explore more eggplant recipes on VegKitchen.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!