Pennsylvania Dutch Succotash
The Pennsylvania Dutch variety of succotash typifies the style of that cuisine—filling and simply seasoned, but not bland, with a pleasant combination of flavorful vegetables.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive or safflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, cooked in their skin, peeled and diced
- 2 cups cooked fresh corn kernels (from 3 medium ears)
- 10-ounce package thawed frozen baby lima beans
- 2 heaping cups chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent.
Add the bell pepper and continue to sauté until it and the onion are golden. Add all the remaining ingredients and cook, covered, for 15 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Serve at once.
- Here are lots more recipes for using fresh corn.