Piquant Green Beans
This nippy preparation of green beans is adapted from the fascinating book on early Mission cooking of the Southwest, Early California Hospitality (1938). Use the most tender fresh green beans for best results.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and snapped or cut in half
- 3 medium ripe juicy tomatoes, chopped
- 1 or 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- l tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat the oil in a large skillet or saucepan. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until it is translucent.
Add the garlic and green beans and sauté, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, until the green beans are tender. This will take approximately from 10 to 20 minutes, depending on their size and thickness. Serve at once.
- Here are more recipes for making the most of green beans.