Harvest Medley Pasta
Though this dish calls for only a half-pound of pasta, it’s so chock-full of vegetables (as well as kidney beans) that it makes a heaping quantity. It’s a great dish to make in very late summer or early fall. Have all the vegetables cut and ready to cook before beginning to cook the pasta.
Serves: 6 or more
- 1/2 pound penne, ziti, gemelli, or other short shape
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, sliced diagonally
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 cups fresh uncooked corn kernels (cut from2 large ears)
- 2 cups green or yellow wax beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 small yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 8 firm, ripe plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans (from 3/4 cup raw), or 1 1-pound can, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegan Parmesan cheese, optional
Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a steep-sided stir-fry pan. Add the garlic and carrots and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes over low heat until the garlic is golden. Add the bell pepper, corn kernels, and green beans, and wine. Raise the heat to medium and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir once or twice.
Add the squashes, tomatoes, and kidney beans, and oregano. Cover once again and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender, then remove from the heat.
Combine the pasta with the vegetable mixture in a large serving container. Stir in the parsley, then season to taste with salt and pepper and toss together. Serve at once, passing around vegan Parmesan for topping if desired.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and Pasta Entrées.
- Explore lots more summer tomato recipes.
- Enjoy VegKitchen’s selection of recipes for zucchini and other summer squashes.