Hot Beet and Potato Borscht
Though beet borscht is generally eaten cold, the addition of potatoes creates a more robust version for fall or winter. Unless you are fond of grating, doing so in a food processor makes the job much easier. Adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and grated
- 4 medium beets, peeled and grated
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- 2 to 3 tablespoons natural granulated sugar, more or less to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Vegan sour cream, homemade or store-bought, optional
Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden. Add all the remaining ingredients except the sugar, salt and pepper, and optional sour cream.
Add enough water to cover the vegetables. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes.
Adjust the consistency with more water if the soup is too dense. Season with sugar, salt, and pepper, then simmer for 5 minutes longer.
If time allows, let the soup to stand for an hour or two before serving, then heat through as needed. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream, if desired, plus some fresh dill.