Leek and Red Pepper Hash-Browned Potatoes
If you like leeks, you’re sure to enjoy this dressed-up version of hash browns. Use firm-textured potatoes, such as red-skinned or Yukon Gold, rather than mealy ones, for best results.
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2 large or 3 medium leeks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Microwave the potatoes in their skins until they are easily pierced with a knife but still firm. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then peel and slice them about 1/2 inch thick.
Trim the tough green leaves and bottoms from the leeks and discard. Slice the leeks in half lengthwise, then into 1/4-inch slices crosswise. Place in a colander and rinse well.
Heat the half of the oil in an extra-wide skillet. Add the leeks and sauté over medium-low heat, covered, until limp, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add the red peppers and continue to sauté, covered, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are soft, about 5 to 8 minutes more.
Add the remaining oil, the potatoes, and the optional parsley. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook until the potatoes on the bottom are browned. Stir well, and let the bottom brown several times more, until most of the mixture is nicely browned. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s easy, festive vegan brunch recipes and menus.
- Here are more easy, tasty potato recipes.
- Here are more recipes for onions, garlic, and leeks.