Serves: 4 to 6
- ½ red onion, chopped fine
- 1 red pepper, chopped fine
- 1 jalapeño, chopped fine
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes or half a pint of grape tomatoes, sliced, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped fine, plus more for garnish, if desired
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped fine
- 16 ounces assorted fresh mushrooms, portobello, cremini, oyster, etc. sliced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Place chopped onion, red pepper and jalapeño in a large bowl. Add chopped tomatoes, juices from limes, lemons and oranges. Stir together well, season to taste. Add cilantro, parsley and mushrooms.
Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight, as time, jalapeno and citrus work their magic. Stir and taste again. Garnish with extra cilantro if desired.
Ellen Kanner writes the Meatless Monday column for The Huffingon Post, is the Edgy Veggie, a syndicated columnist, and Dinner Guest blogger on Culinate. She is also a contributor to Bon Appetit, Relish, Eating Well, Vegetarian Times, More, the Miami Herald and regional publications across the country including Pebble Beach and Palm Beach Illustrated.