Red Cabbage, Carrot, and Apricot Salad
Here’s a nice change of pace from “white” coleslaw — a combination of red cabbage and carrot, sweetened with dried apricots. It adds a refreshing note to spicy meals and adds vibrant color to the plate.
- 1/2 small head red cabbage
- 3 to 4 medium or 2 large carrots
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime, or 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 cup plain coconut or soy yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, cilantro, or parsley
- 2 to 3 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Grate the cabbage and carrots with a coarse grating attachment in a food processor or slice into short thin shreds by hand. Grate the carrots with a hand grater, or, if you’d prefer, slice them into thin rounds.
Combine the cabbage and carrots in a serving bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix well. Let the salad stand, covered, for about 30 minutes before serving.