Sautéed Carrots and Leeks
Both leeks and carrots have a natural sweetness, and so the two veggies mingle nicely. This is a mild and pleasant side dish, good with pastas and tofu or tempeh specialties.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 large or 3 medium leeks, white and palest green parts only,
cut in half lengthwise, then into half rings, and very well rinsed
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices on the diagonal
- Pinch of nutmeg, optional
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or dill
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil and wine in a wide skillet. Add the leeks and carrots, cover, and cook over medium-low heat, for about 8 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Stir the mixture once or twice during that cooking time.
Uncover and turn the heat up to medium. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the leeks and carrots begin to turn golden. Stir in the nutmeg, if desired.
Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle on the parsley, and serve.