Summer Squash Sauté
This recipe calls for zucchini and yellow summer squashes, which are available year-round, but any tender squash, such as pattypan, may be substituted or added.
Serves: 4 to 6 as a side dish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion or 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, optional
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 medium yellow summer squashes, sliced,
or 1 yellow summer squash and 1 pattypan squash
- 1/4 cup sliced cured black olives or sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 12 or so basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Sauté the onion until translucent; if using garlic, add and continue to sauté
Add 2 tablespoons of water to the skillet, followed by the zucchini and yellow squashes, and stir. Cover and sweat the squashes until just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir once in the interim.
Stir in the black olives and season with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy VegKitchen’s selection of recipes for zucchini and other summer squashes.
- Return to Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashanah) recipes and menus.