Cool White Bean and Tomato Soup
Serves: 6 to 8
- Two 15- to 16-ounce cans cannellini
(large white beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds ripe, juicy tomatoes,
- 2 scallions, green parts only, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley leaves
(plus more for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup green olives or sliced sun-dried (not oil-cured) tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend, or more, to taste
(such as Spike or Mrs. Dash, or to taste)
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Red and/or yellow cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered optional
Reserve half of the beans and place the rest in a food processor along with the tomatoes, scallions, cilantro or parsley, dill, and olives. Pulse on and off until well blended, but with a little chunky texture.
Transfer to a serving container. Stir in the reserved beans. Stir in seasoning blend and lemon juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve at once at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate until chilled. Garnish each serving with quartered or halved cherry or grape tomatoes if desired, plus some extra parsley or cilantro.