Here’s a heavenly salsa to make when tomatoes and mangos are at their best — the convergence happens mainly in July and August. Serve with tortilla chips or as a condiment with Mexican or Indian-style meals. Adapted from The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet.
Makes about 2 cups (8 or more servings)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium to large mango, pitted, peeled,
and coarsely chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeño or other chili pepper,
seeded and minced, more or less to taste
- Several sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice, or to taste
- Pinch of salt
To prepare in a food processor, combine all the ingredients in its container and pulse on and off until coarsely pureed. To prepare by hand, finely chop the tomatoes, mangos, jalapeños, and cilantro. Stir in the lime juice and add a pinch of salt.
Serve at once with tortilla chips or as a condiment with meals. Store remaining salsa in an airtight jar and use within two days.