Veggie Heroes with Herb Mayonnaise
These heroes bridge the gap between not wanting to cook and not wanting to do take-out. This is also a good choice for brown-bag lunch or warm summer nights. Add baked or microwaved sweet potatoes and some sliced fresh fruit, and you’ve got a reasonably nutritious meal in a remarkably short time.
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup minced fresh herbs of your choice (try a combination of basil,
dill, and Italian parsley)
- 1 tablespoon minced chives or scallion
- 6 individual whole grain hero rolls (about 6- to 7 -inch)
- 6-ounce package vegan deli slices, cut into halves
- 2 cups finely shredded lettuce
- 2 to 3 medium firm, ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and thinly sliced
Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir together.
Split the hero rolls lengthwise. Spread each half with the herb mayonnaise. Divide the deli slices among 6 of the roll halves. Divide the lettuce, tomato slices, and red pepper slices among the other 6 roll halves. Put the halves together and serve.
Click here for lots more recipes for vegan sandwiches and wraps.