Super-Easy Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches
There are plenty of pulled jackfruit sandwich recipes around the web, but this miracle food is so amazing that we just had to have one of our own. This super-easy pulled jackfruit sandwich recipe relies on flavorful BBQ sauce to envelop the starchy fruit. In its unripe state it has that kind of stringy texture provides an animal-free way to enjoy a “meaty” treat. Pairing it with coleslaw gives the sandwich a cool crunch.
- Two 20-ounce cans young green jackfruit in water (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 to 1 cup barbecue sauce (your favorite brand or homemade)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons barbecue seasoning such as mesquite (see Note)
- 2 cups or so pre shredded coleslaw
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo or other creamy dressing
- 4 whole-grain buns
1 Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Cut away and discard any core portion, then chop the jackfruit roughly.
2 Heat the oil in a large skillet, then add the jackfruit and 3/4 cup barbecue sauce. Heat up over medium-high heat until the sauce bubbles, then turn down the heat, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Stir from time to time.
3 Uncover and mash with a potato masher or large fork to create string-like “pulled” texture. Add a little more BBQ sauce if the jackfruit has gotten dry, then stir in the BBQ seasoning to taste. Cook for 5 minutes or so longer.
4 In the meantime, combine the slaw with enough vegan mayo to coat.
5 Divide the pulled jackfruit among 4 buns (you may have excess), top with a little coleslaw and the top of the bun, then serve.
- Make sure to get jackfruit in water, not brine or syrup. If you can’t find canned young green jackfruit at a natural foods store near you, it’s available online at Amazon.com.
- Barbecue seasonings are available in the spice section of most supermarkets
Photos: Evan Atlas
- See more of our Shameless Shortcut Recipes