Raw Vegan Orange Creamsicle Ice Cream Cake
This summery dessert has everything you love about Creamsicles, but in cake form! While the presentation makes it look like you’ve been working on this dessert for days, it actually requires very little effort. Best of all, this orange creamsicle ice cream cake is vegan and raw.
This frozen cake is designed to be made in a springform pan so that the sides can be removed. Much like any ice cream cake, this recipe will melt when removed from the freezer.
Excerpted from Cook Lively!: 100 Quick and Easy Plant-Based Recipes for High Energy, Glowing Skin, and Vibrant Living—Using 10 Ingredients or Less — recipes and photos by Laura-Jane Koers. © 2017. With permission and available from Da Capo Lifelong Books, an imprint of Perseus Books, LLC, a subsidiary of Hachette Book Group, Inc.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup peeled, chopped orange
- 1⁄2 cup untoasted cashews
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries (optional; see note)
- Line the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan (or a standard pie plate or loaf pan) with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add all the ingredients to your blender except the blueberries. Blend until smooth, with a texture similar to a smoothie.
- Add the blueberries to the blender (but do not blend). Stir gently to distribute the berries.
- Pour the mixture into the pan. Smooth out with the back of a spoon.
- Cover and freeze for at least 8 hours (and longer if possible), or until it is firm and you can cleanly slice it with a knife.
- Once ready to eat, top with additional orange slices and blueberries, if desired, and then slice. Store in the freezer at all times.
Note: Though this recipe can be made successfully without them, the suspended blueberries frozen in place add a nice touch from a presentation standpoint. You can also try fresh raspberries or sliced, pitted cherries instead. Whatever you suspend should be chopped quite small (blueberry size or smaller) and be low in water content, otherwise they could turn icy.
- Here are more raw vegan desserts.