Vegan 7-Layer Bean Dip
7-layer bean dip (aka 7-layer Mexican dip) is one of those delicious concoctions that probably has little to do with Mexican cuisine, in the same way that many “Chinese food” dishes are nowhere to be found in China. But it’s a heck of a party dip, so we’ll take it. This all-vegan 7-layer bean dip is super easy to make and you need not measure precise amounts, just build the layers, make it look nice, and serve with plenty of chips.
This is a fun snack to serve for Cinco de Mayo, Super Bowl and other sports gatherings, or any time you need an accompaniment to margaritas, mojitos, and sangria.
Thanks to Follow Your Heart for supplying some of the ingredients used in this preparation.
What you need
- 15-ounce can vegan refried beans (see note)
- 1 medium avocado mashed with lemon juice, or prepared guacamole
- Vegan sour cream,
- Shredded lettuce (or baby arugula)
- Salsa, your favorite variety
- Shredded vegan cheese (see note)
- Chopped fresh tomatoes or grape tomatoes
What to do
1 Warm the beans up in a small saucepan with a small amount of water to loosen the consistency — canned refried beans are a bit clumpy. Unless you’re using spicy refried beans, you might want to refer to the note below, and add some seasoning to your taste.
2 Depending on the size and depth of your serving bowl, use all or most of the refried beans for the bottom layer.
3 Follow with the avocado mash or guac, sour cream, lettuce or arugula, salsa, shredded vegan cheese, and tomatoes. Once again, no need to measure, just use what seems reasonable and fits your serving dish.
4 And if you happen to do the layers in a different order, that’s fine. It will taste awesome no matter how it’s stacked up. Serve at once with tortilla chips and beverages.
- If you’d like, add more flavor to the refried beans with taco seasoning, chipotle chiles, picante sauce, or chili powder.
- A seasoned vegan cheese like Follow Your Heart Fiesta Blend or Daiya Pepper Jack shreds are great for this, but if you want to stick to basics, use vegan cheddar shreds.
- Use sliced black olives in place of tomatoes for the top layer.
Photos: Evan Atlas
- Here are more of Vegan Food Hacks’ Shameless Shortcut Recipes