If you’re looking for a healthier treat for Halloween, Kathy Hester has got you covered with these easy, devilishly creepy “bats and cats” chocolate graham crackers. They’re vegan and better for your kids (and you!) than all the sugary candies. Reprinted with permission from The Ghoulish Gourmet: A Bewitching Collection of Vegan Halloween Recipes © 2016 printed with permission.
Creepy Bats and Cats Chocolate Graham Crackers
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup mild oil I used an avocado-coconut blend
- ¼ cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Prepare 2 large cookie sheets by oiling or covering with parchment paper.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and cut in with a pastry cutter or 2 forks. Use your hands to make a ball. If the dough is too crumbly, add another tablespoon of nondairy milk and try again.
- Roll out ¼ of the dough at a time on a floured work surface into a medium thickness. Use bat and cat cookie cutters to cut out shapes and gently place them on the baking sheet.
- Repeat until all the dough is used. If you use medium-sized cookie cutters, these will need to bake for about 10 minutes. The cookies will be crunchy.
- Here are more Healthy Halloween Treats.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!