This pizza variation could not be easier. I have found the key to vegan pizza is loads of fresh toppings and contrasting flavors. In this pineapple veggie pizza on pita bread, the sweet fruit mingles with a myriad of fresh vegetables—the more the better. Recipe and photo contributed by Vicki Brett-Gach of Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 4 thick whole wheat pita breads (6-inches each)
- pasta sauce, pizza sauce, or tomato sauce
- red bell peppers, diced (raw, sautéed, or steamed)
- vidalia onions, diced (raw, sautéed, or steamed)
- zucchini, diced (raw, sautéed, or steamed)
- crushed pineapple or pineapple tidbits, well drained (or finely chopped fresh pineapple)
- fresh basil, ribboned
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- nutritional yeast or red pepper flakes for topping, optional
- Preheat oven (or toaster oven) to 425°F.
- Slice pita breads in half. Place pita halves onto a baking sheet. Slather with a thick layer of pasta sauce.
- Top the sauce generously with all the toppings of your choice. Sprinkle the pizzas with a touch of salt and pepper and/or Italian Seasoning.
- Bake for approximately 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn crispy and golden brown, and the center is hot and bubbling.
- Remove from oven, and serve hot. Top with nutritional yeast or red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Easy Pizzas.