This combination of refried beans, corn, and vegan cheddar cheese in a soft tacos makes for a sensuous experience, meant to be eaten with knife and fork rather than picked up as you would crisp tacos. Serve with baked sweet potatoes or sweet potato fries and a big salad for an easy meal. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Serves: 4 to 6 (1 1/2 to 2 soft tacos per serving)
- 8 soft taco-size (8- to 10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup thawed frozen corn kernels
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small hot green chili pepper (like jalapeño), seeded and minced, optional
- 15- to 16-ounce can spicy fat-free refried beans
- 1 cup grated vegan cheddar-style cheese
- Salsa (homemade or purchased) for topping
- Vegan sour cream (homemade or purchased) for topping, optional
Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and warm in a 350-degree F oven or toaster oven.
Combine the water and bell pepper strips in a large saucepan and cook, covered, for 2 minutes, Add the corn kernels, scallions, and refried beans. Heat gently until everything is well heated through.
Spread some of the filling on one half of each tortilla, then sprinkle with a small amount of cheese. Fold over and arrange on individual plates. Top with salsa and the optional yogurt. Eat at once with knife and fork.
Nutritional Information: 367 calories; 15g fat; 1,032mg sodium; 80mg potassium; 50g carbs; 4.4g dietary fiber; 3g sugar; 7.5g protein