These pumpkin or butternut squash mini loaf breads make a nice gift to bring when you visit friends and relatives over the winter holidays; they’re also an easy everyday treat, full of nutritious ingredients, to make and enjoy at home. A mug of hot cocoa is the very best companion for this treat, but tea is also quite good.
Makes 3 mini-loaves
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground ginger, to taste
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup smoothly pureed cooked sugar pumpkin (fresh or canned)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons orange or apple juice, or as needed
- 2/3 cup raisins or currants
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips, optional
Preheat the oven to 350º F.
Combine the first 6 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.
In another bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, syrup, and oil and whisk together until smooth.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Stir together until completely mixed. If the batter is too stiff to mix, add a very small amount of juice to loosen it a bit, but let it should remain thick.
Divide the batter between 3 lightly oiled mini loaf pans (mine are 6 by 3 inches). Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of one tests clean.
- Here are more Vegan Quick Breads and Scones.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.