Asparagus/ Simple Veggie Side Dishes/ Vegan Easter Recipes/ Vegan Recipes

Asparagus with Mustard-Dill Sauce

Asparagus on table

I think about this recipe all winter, as I look forward to spring. It only takes ten minutes to prepare. Recipe by Devra Gartenstein, from Local Bounty: Seasonal Vegan Recipes, by permission of The Book Publishing Company.

Serves: 4

• 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
  • 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard (preferably grainy)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Bring 1 quart water to a boil in a medium saucepan and blanch the asparagus for about 15 seconds. Drain and run it under cold water for 1 minute.

To make the sauce, heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add the garlic and cook on low heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the lemon juice, optional dill, mustard, salt, and pepper to taste, and mix well.

Toss the asparagus with the sauce and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

You Might Also Like

Dwight Kealiher
    November 28, 2013 at 12:40 am

Do you cook the asparagus only for 15 seconds? I would think that would barelyi get them warm, much less cooked to any degree.
    The recipe says to cut the asparagus in 2 inch lengths, but the pic accompanying the recipe shows full–length asparagus spears in a serving dish with the sauce spread over the middle of the spears, not 2-inch pieces tossed in the sauce.
    Please explain.

Jerusha L
    April 22, 2014 at 12:06 am

Tried this for Easter dinner. The asparagus was delicious after blanching it or about 20 seconds. The sauce was awful. maybe you should specify the amount of lemon and not a generic term like “juice from half a lemon”. My attempt was WAY to lemony. Tried everything to fix it. We ended up just washing it off the asparagus.

April 22, 2014 at 9:30 am

I’m sorry this didn’t suit your taste, Jerusha. This is a contributed recipe and seemed like it would be good. Juice from half a lemon should be about 2 tablespoons, and this doesn’t seem like it should be too much for a pound of asparagus, but perhaps it would overpower the delicate flavor. And because the author didn’t supply a photo, we used a generic one, which in hindsight doesn’t seem like a good idea. But the buck stops here, and I wanted to reply to you, and perhaps I’ll take this recipe down. We have lots more asparagus recipes that will hopefully be more pleasing to you and other readers: http://www.vegkitchen.com/recipes/asparagus-recipes-easy-and-versatile/

Jerusha L
    April 22, 2014 at 12:07 am

And I agree with Dwight. The picture definitely doesn’t match the description.

Thomas Jaszewski
    June 13, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Being on a fat free diet and preferring a hot more cooked version, I steamed the asparagus for 7 minutes in simmer. First bring the teamer pot to a boil then turning down to simmer. The sauce was made just as described with 2 large garlic cloves and Dijon style mustard. Uncooked sauce substituted water for oil and let it sit for 4 hours refrigerated.
    The dill was garden fresh and a full compacted tablespoon finely minced. A new favorite sauce. We served it with a side of whole wheat pasta under the asparagus and then drizzled the sauce over the whole affair followed by a light sprinkle of parmesan. WOW Thanks so much for the idea!

Christine
    April 13, 2015 at 11:14 am

It was a great recipe! We really enjoyed it. We just drizzled it on top of the asparagus and it was yummy! I also prefer it hot so I just steamed the asparagus.

I am also the world’s worst cook and managed to make it and have it taste good. It was actually really easy! But it looked gourmet.

I thought I’d had garlic so I didn’t grab any at the store when I went to get the asparagus, and didn’t want to go out again so I just used granulated garlic. It worked really well as a sub.

April 19, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Thanks, Christine — glad you enjoyed this! And now, voila — you are no longer the world’s worst cook.