BBQ Tempeh Bacon with Black-Eyed Peas and Greens
Bites of tart apple add a delightful flavor twist to this hearty dish of BBQ tempeh bacon with black-eyed peas and greens. Serve with sweet potatoes or fresh corn and coleslaw for a satisfying meal. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-ounce package smoky tempeh strips, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked or one 15- to 16-ounce can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, diced
- 2/3 cup Quick Vegan Barbecue Sauce or your favorite all-natural brand
- 10 to 12 ounces chard or spinach, well washed, stemmed, and chopped
Heat the oil in a wide skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent.
Add the garlic and bacon and sauté, stirring frequently, until all are golden and just beginning to brown lightly.
Stir in the black-eyed peas, apple, and barbecue sauce. Cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until the sauce is reduced.
Add the greens, then cover until wilted. Stir in, then cook for another 2 minutes or so for the spinach, or 4 minutes for the chard, until tender but still bright green. Serve at once.
Variation: This is also wonderful with kale, but it needs more cooking time than chard or spinach. Start steaming it separately just before starting the dish; once cooked to your liking, stir it in at the end.
Per serving: 325 calories; 11g fat; 1,170mg sodium; 45g carbs; 9g fiber; 13g protein