If you’re looking for an easy, healthy, and yummy spread for fresh bread, crackers, or tortilla chips, you’re in luck. This one combines tasty chickpeas with smooth avocado, and boosted with a good dose of baby spinach or arugula. Spread it on toast any time of day — even for breakfast, or scoop a little of the soft center from a fresh crusty baguette. It’s as good for everyday lunches as it is as a special occasion dip or spread. Makes about 2 cups. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 to 2 big handfuls baby spinach or arugula
- 1 scallion, green parts only
- 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- ⅓ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the chickpeas, spinach, and scallion in a food processor. Pulse on and off until roughly chopped.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the salt and pepper. Pulse on and off again until nicely combined; leave some texture.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Taste and see if you’d like more lemon or lime juice, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve as suggested in the headnote. Store leftovers in a well-sealed container in the refrigerator, where this will keep for several days.