This roasted vegetable guacamole gets a special touch with the addition of roasted tomatoes and bell peppers, which imparts a subtly smoked flavor.
Makes: about 2 cups; serves 8 or more as an appetizer
- 2 medium firm ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 2 medium ripe avocados
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, crushed, optional
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh cilantro, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tomatillo, finely chopped, or 1 small hot green chile,
seeded and minced, optional
Roast the tomatoes and green pepper under a broiler. Turn on all sides until the skins are quite blistered. Let them cool in a paper bag.
Slip the skins off the cooled tomato and green pepper and chop them finely. Add them to the avocado mixture, avoiding adding too much of the tomatoes’ liquid. Serve alongside or as part of southwestern tortilla dishes, or as an appetizer with crisp tortilla chips.
- Here are lots more recipes for salsas, chutneys, and relishes.