Everyone will love these tempeh-based Sloppy Janes — a gluten-free version of sloppy joes —even if you’re not gluten-free. They pack a punch that will have everyone wanting a second! Recipe from The Complete Idiot’s Guide® to Gluten-Free Vegan Cooking* by Julieanna Hever, M.S., R.D., CPT, and Beverly Lynn Bennett (Alpha Books, 2011).
Makes: 6 sandwiches
- 1 (8 ounces) package tempeh, cut into ½-in. cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 tablespoon low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoon jalapeño pepper, ribs and seeds removed, and finely diced
- 1 ½ tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon wheat-free tamari
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika or sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Gluten-Free Hamburger Buns, split
Place a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh cubes and olive oil, and sauté, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons vegetable broth, and cook, stirring often, for 3 more minutes.
Add red onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, garlic, and remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, and cook, stirring often, for 3 more minutes.
Add crushed tomatoes, nutritional yeast flakes, tamari, oregano, chili powder, smoked paprika, and pepper, and cook, stirring often, for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
Evenly divide mixture among Gluten-Free Hamburger Buns, and serve hot.
Variation: For milder-flavored Sloppy Janes, replace the fire-roasted crushed tomatoes with ¾ cup ketchup and 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard or 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste and 1/3 cup water.
Plant-Based Dietitian Recommends: Substitute an additional 2 tablespoons vegetable broth or water for the oil, for a total of 7 tablespoons vegetable broth or water.
Find more of VegKitchen’s:
- Vegan sandwiches and wraps
- Vegan burger recipes
- Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Tofu, Tempeh and Vegan Sausage Main Dishes.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!