These simple vegan sweet potato biscuits are so moist and flaky, they practically melt in your mouth. Fantastic to serve with fall meals, especially as an accompaniment to chili or other stews, these are also a welcome addition to your vegan Thanksgiving menu. Contributed by Cathe Olson from The Vegetarian Mother’s Cookbook.*
- 1½ cups spelt flour (or whole wheat)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons cold vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato (from about 1 medium)
- ¼ cup nondairy milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and sea salt together. Cut in margarine or coconut oil until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix in sweet potato and milk until combined.
- Scoop out ¼-cup mounds of dough (an oiled ice cream scoop works well) and flatten to biscuit shape on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until bottoms are golden. Transfer to a fabric-lined platter or basket and serve warm.
- Here are more recipes and menu ideas for a Vegetarian and Vegan-Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Here are more Vegan Quick Breads.
Cathe Olson is the author of Simply Natural Baby Food, The Vegetarian Mother’s Cookbook,* and Lick It! Creamy, Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.* Visit Cathe at Simply Natural Books.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!